Read Time: 3 minutes
By far, the most crucial part of your renovation/build project is ensuring you have the right squad engaged to bring your project to life. Top of the list is your builder. Get this wrong and it could cost you an arm and a leg. Get it right and you won't even know that you are building or renovating.
The first step in the right direction is getting at least three references from your prospective builder. They may have been referred to you already, but no matter what, do your own due-diligence too - you may have different criteria to your friends and family.
In this blog, we look at the most important questions you need to ask the references your builder/trades have supplied:
- Are you a relative or close friend?
- How long ago did you use their services? We like to get references that are no more than two years old so the feedback is relevant and also from the past so we can check how their work has stood the test of time
- Were you satisfied with their work?
- Did your project run over time? If so, why?
- Did your project run over budget? If so, why?
- Were they and their team punctual?
- Was the site generally kept clean & tidy throughout the build?
- Would you refer them to a close friend or family member?
- Would you use them again?
- Were they and their team good communicators?
- Was there anything that they didn’t do well, but was overshadowed by the quality?
- Were they accommodating within reason?
- What was their general temperament?
- How often was the builder onsite themselves?
- Did they answer your calls and emails in a reasonable time?
Finally, once this is all said and done, you need to check their license covers the state you are building in, it's current and there have been no reports of misconduct or legal issues brought against them (you can do this online or by calling the regulatory body in your state). They also need to have adequate insurances relevant to your project - ask for the certificate of currency.
Milk Chocolate was founded seven years ago by Richie Ragel and Michael Cleary, to purchase and project manage cosmetic and structural renovations on residential and commercial property in Australia on behalf of our clients, looking for a home or investment property. To see how we can help you get in touch here.
#onthehunt #milkchocproperty #propertyconcierge
If you like this post, we’d love it if you could share :)
Disclaimer: All data and information provided on this site are for informational purposes only. Milk Chocolate makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis.